Canadian Visa App - FAQ | Experience the Beauty of Living in Canada!

HOMEFrequently Asked Questions

DISCLAIMER: The information on this webpage is not and should not be considered as expert or professional advice.

I don’t know which immigration program suits me. How can you help?
Identifying the best Canadian immigration visa program that will give you the highest chances to live and work in Canada as a permanent resident can be the most tedious part of the process. To save you time and resources, the Authorized Consultant who the Canadian Visa App company subcontracts can guide you through the process from start to finish, supported by our team of well-trained specialists. In fact, we have developed a streamlined process for assessing your eligibility online. When undergoing this online assessment, you will be asked to provide important details about yourself, your family, your educational background, your career track, English and French language proficiency, among other information. This personalized assessment can help our team of professionals to evaluate your eligibility to apply for Canadian immigration programs. The Authorized Consultant we subcontract will recommend the Canadian visa program you can apply for and also give you an overview of the points you could get for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), which has a point-based system. Knowing which Canadian visa program you are best-suited to apply for is an important step of the process.
Will you help me fill out the application forms?

You will be guided by the expert we subcontract who is an Authorized Representative according to Canada’s immigration law. As such, guidance is offered at each stage of the process so we can answer any questions you may have. This guidance includes helping you fill out your application forms correctly, together with the supporting documents, as required by the Canadian immigration officials.

I speak Spanish. Can you still help me?

This is nothing to worry about since our staff, experts, and customer service representatives speak multiple languages. As such, surely there will be people available to talk to you and help you with the process. Keep in mind, however, that you must have good English or French language skills to immigrate to Canada as a skilled foreign worker. Globally, many people are looking to immigrate to Canada to seek better opportunities. These are people who also speak other languages like yours. Varying in countries of origin, around 340,000 people are moving to Canada every year. And it is expected to rise in the coming years. That is why the services we give at Canadian Visa App are designed to help foreign nationals like you to correctly and efficiently apply for a Permanent Resident Visa to Canada.

Can you describe to me the quality of life in Canada?

Canada has been ranked #1 in terms of quality of life. Its major cities have also been rated as the world’s best places to live and settle in. For example, Vancouver has been named the best city in North America for quality of life. Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto are also listed among the world’s top three most livable cities. Canada is a peaceful country, with top-notch, yet, free healthcare services. People in Canada generally have a longer than average lifespan as people are healthier and happier here. Canada is a stable, tolerant democracy where people enjoy equality and freedom. The Canadian government welcomes more than 340,000 new permanent residents yearly. These high Canadian immigration levels also suggest that many foreign nationals are convinced that Canada is the next big thing for them when it comes to opportunities and quality of life.

What are the opportunities that await me as a Canadian permanent resident?

As a Canadian permanent resident, you can enjoy the opportunity to live in Canada long-term and legally get employment. You can also start your own business as a permanent resident. If you are looking to continue further studies, you can be admitted to Canada’s top-rated academic institutions as a permanent resident. Furthermore, you can receive free or subsidized public healthcare in the province where you live in Canada. Permanent residents can travel to and from Canada and travel freely throughout the Canadian provinces and territories. A Canadian Permanent Resident who is at least 18 years of age and meets other criteria can sponsor family members for a visa to Canada. One of the best opportunities as a Permanent Resident of Canada is the option to become a Canadian citizen after living in Canada for three years during a five-year time period and satisfying other requirements.

Can you tell me more about the Express Entry Immigration System?

The Express Entry Canadian immigration system provides an efficient, fast-tracked process for skilled foreign workers to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa to Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, Provincial Nominee Program or Canadian Experience Class Program. A foreign worker who wants to apply for one of these Canadian immigration programs will create an online Express Entry profile with his or her relevant details and will receive points for factors such as age, English and French language abilities, education, relevant work experience, etc. (a total of 1200 points are possible). If the Canadian immigration official determines that the foreign worker qualifies for Express Entry, his or her profile will be entered into the pool of candidates. An Invitation to Apply (ITA) can be received by having one of the highest scores on the Comprehensive Ranking System, being nominated for a PNP, or getting a qualifying offer of employment in Canada. The foreign worker will have 60 days to file the Canadian Visa Application and should receive a decision in six months or less about whether he or she was approved for Express Entry immigration to Canada.

Can you tell me more about the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)?

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) was established to help fill thousands of high-demand jobs in Canada that usually require a university degree or other post-secondary training. The FSWP uses a points system which encompasses six major factors for evaluation: educational background, work experience, English or French language proficiency, age, Canadian job offer, and potential adaptability to live in Canada. At least 67 points are needed for the six selection factors out of 100 points possible. A minimum of one year of paid, full-time work experience in a qualifying profession in the past 10 years is also required. The eligible occupations are categorized according to four major NOC (2021) classifications: TEER Skill Level 0 for various professions in management; TEER Skill Level 1 for specific non-management related professions in different fields that normally require a university degree; and TEER Skill Levels 2 and 3 for skilled trades and other technical jobs in Canada that require some form of post-secondary training such as vocational school or apprenticeship. The FSWP is one of the Canadian immigration programs that is eligible for Express Entry.

Can you tell me more about the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)?

Skilled foreign tradespeople who qualify for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) may be eligible to apply for Express Entry immigration to Canada. The Federal Skilled Trades Program does not use a points-system like the FSWP; however, a foreign worker must have at least two years of full-time paid experience working in an eligible skilled trade during the five year prior to applying for the FSTP. The skilled trades that qualify for the FSTP are categorized into four major groups and two minor groups according to Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC). Major Group 72 includes construction, electrical and industrial trades. Equipment operation and maintenance trades fall under Major Group 73. Foreign workers with technical or supervisory jobs in or related to agricultural production or natural resources are classified into Major Group 82. Central control operators, supervisors of utilities, manufacturing and processing belong to Major Group 92. Chefs and cooks are categorized into Minor Group 632, while bakers and butchers are listed under Minor Group 633. Since all of the skilled trades that are classified according to these major and minor groups are considered Skill Type B occupations by the NOC, this means these jobs meet the criteria for Express Entry immigration to Canada. The skilled immigrant must provide evidence that he or she carried out all of the essential duties and most of the primary duties for the eligible trade as defined in the NOC. A foreign tradesperson must also show that he or she has the necessary level of English or French specified for the FSTP as indicated by achieving certain scores for reading, writing, speaking and understanding as measured by an approved language evaluation exam taken less than two years prior to applying for the FSTP. Furthermore, the foreign worker will usually have to travel to the province or territory where he or she wants to work in Canada in order to get evaluated for the skilled trade. Application for the FSTP is made online through the Express Entry Canadian immigration system.

Can you tell me more about the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)?

Some provinces and territories in Canada need people with defined occupations and specific skills. Thus, the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) was created to cater to the local needs of these areas of Canada. Each of the Canadian provinces and territories with a PNP has created its own eligibility requirements in cooperation with the national Government of Canada. Provinces that participate in the PNP include: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, and Yukon. The mostly French-speaking province of Quebec does not participate in the PNP, because it has established its own Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP) for immigrants who want to live and work in Quebec as Canadian Permanent Residents. Although each province or territory with a PNP develops its own criteria based on local needs, the application procedures are very similar. In general, there is a two-step procedure to apply for a PNP, however, the steps might differ depending on whether the foreign worker applies using the traditional paper-based process or the Express Entry process (which has two PNP options available). In whichever method they choose, the foreign worker must first receive a nomination from a particular province or territory for immigration to Canada through its PNP and then he or she can take the second major step which is to apply to the national Canadian immigration agency for permanent residency. If the foreign worker and his or her family are approved for Canadian Permanent Residency through the PNP, they will immigrate to Canada and live and work in the province or territory that nominated them.

Can you tell me more about the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP)?

If you speak French, then maybe the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP) will be more attractive for you. French is the main language used by the majority of people residing and working in Quebec, since this region was settled by the French, while the rest of Canada was settled by the British. Consequently, historical events have given Canada’s largest province a special French-Canadian charm that makes Quebec unique from other parts of the country. This also means that you must have or be able to achieve good French language proficiency if you aim to permanently live and work in Quebec. This Canadian immigration program uses a point-based system in which points are given for different factors and an applicant must get at least 50 points out of 103 points possible if single or receive a minimum score of 59 points out of 120 points possible if he or she has a spouse/partner. Points are given for: education; age; recognized relevant work experience; French and English language proficiency; connection to Quebec (e.g., previous stay in Quebec of at least 2 weeks, having family in Quebec); possessing a validated job offer from a qualified employer in Quebec; spouse or common-law partner characteristics (e.g., education, age, French and English language proficiency); having children; and showing financial capacity to live in Canada generally and to reside in Quebec specifically. Since January 1, 2020, the QSWP also requires applicants to demonstrate that they have learned about the democratic values and Quebec values that are stated in the Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms. Like the PNP, there is a two-step application process in which the foreign worker first applies to the QSWP and if he or she receives a Certificat de sélection du Québec (Quebec Selection Certificate), the second major step is to file an application with the federal immigration agency to become a Canadian Permanent Resident. If the national Canadian immigration agency grants the foreign worker and his or her family permanent resident status, they will be able to immigrate to Canada and live and work in the province of Quebec.

How long does it take for a decision to be given by the Canadian immigration office?

The whole Canadian immigration process generally takes about 12-18 months. The length of time for a decision to be given by the Canadian immigration officials, either approved or denied, depends on many factors that are specific to each applicant. A key factor that affects how long it takes to receive a decision is which Canadian visa program a foreign worker is applying for since each program has different criteria and procedures. Another variable is how quickly and correctly an applicant does what is required to apply for the particular Canadian visa program, such as getting the necessary score on an English or French language evaluation exam, receiving a favorable Education Credential Assessment (if needed), gathering other supporting documents, having the medical exam(s), obtaining the police certificate(s), etc. If a foreign worker applies for Express Entry immigration to Canada and receives an Invitation to Apply, the decision is usually made by the national Canadian immigration agency in about six months or less after a complete Application for Permanent Residency has been filed correctly.

Can I bring my wife, kids, or the whole family with me to Canada?

Canada does not discriminate, so you can include your spouse or partner, whether opposite-sex or same-sex, in your Canadian visa application. With regards to your kids, dependent children under 22 years of age and unmarried can also be included in your Canadian visa application. Everyone who is applying to become a Canadian Permanent Resident must possess good health and have good character, plus the foreign worker must provide Proof of Funds showing the financial capacity to support oneself and family while living in Canada. All of the supporting documents must be provided with the Canadian visa application (including copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates, medical exam results, police certificates, etc.). When you become a Canadian Permanent Resident, if you are at least 18-years old and satisfy all of the criteria, you may be able to sponsor for a visa to Canada your spouse or partner, son or daughter, parent or grandparent, orphaned brother or sister, orphaned nephew or niece, or an orphaned grandchild. Please note that Family Sponsorship requires both the sponsor and the family member being sponsored to satisfy all of the relevant criteria before a Canadian visa can be approved.

What are the possible expenses to be incurred when applying for a Canadian immigration visa?

While we cannot list here all of the possible expenses that you might need to pay during the different stages of your application process for a Canadian immigration visa, here are some expenses that you need to prepare for: Educational Credential Assessment; English and/or French language evaluation exam(s); translation of required documents into English or French if they were not originally issued in one of those two languages; medical exam fees; police certificate fees; Canadian immigration visa application fee; biometrics fees; Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF); Canadian Permanent Resident Card fee; transportation (including airfare) to move to Canada; any shipping expenses associated with Canadian relocation; accommodation and other expenses related to living in Canada. Keep in mind that these expenses are paid at various stages of the Canadian immigration process (i.e., not all at once), so that helps to make the procedure easier to afford. Our team of specialists can provide the specific details that apply to your particular case. Please note that the cost of fees and expenses is subject to change.

When I become a Canadian permanent resident, am I still allowed to go in and out of Canada?

Yes, as long as you live in Canada for a cumulative total of two years during a five-year period, you can retain your permanent resident status. Also, it is expected that you will continue to comply with the requirements of Canadian permanent residency. So, as long as you comply with the rules of permanent residency, you and your family have the freedom to travel throughout the country and to leave and return to Canada on trips such as vacations or business travel. After living in Canada for at least three years during a five-year period, you will have the option to apply to become a Canadian citizen and once you are a citizen of Canada, you can get a Canadian passport and travel abroad for longer periods of time. Furthermore, a valid Canadian passport is considered one of best passports to possess, because it allows the holder to enjoy visa-free or visa-on-arrival travel to most countries around the world.

If I immigrate to Canada, will my family and I get healthcare services from the government too?

Of course, you can get the same public healthcare benefits that Canadian citizens are receiving when you become a Canadian Permanent Resident. It is one of the many benefits that makes Canadian relocation so attractive to immigrants from around the world. The public healthcare system in Canada is fully funded and supported by taxes, which makes it possible for both Canadian citizens and permanent residents alike to have access to the universal healthcare program. As such, when you immigrate to Canada, even your accompanying family members can apply for the universal health insurance card in the Canadian province or territory where you will live. Some provinces have a waiting period of two to three months before Canadian Permanent Residents can receive public healthcare, so you should check the specific details about receiving public healthcare coverage in the province or territory where you will be living in Canada. In addition to the free or subsidized public healthcare that you and your family can receive as permanent residents and citizens of Canada, you also have the option to purchase private healthcare coverage.

How do I know if my educational background suits my Canadian visa application?

Canada ensures that immigrants uphold the high standard for education that their citizens must have to work in various occupations. That is why a skilled foreign worker who is applying for a Canadian Permanent Resident Visa through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) will usually need to get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). This assessment is needed if foreign skilled workers received their education outside of Canada. The ECA is secured from an authorized and independent evaluation company designated by the Canadian government. The purpose of the Educational Credential Assessment is to evaluate if the previous education received by the foreign worker outside of Canada is of an equivalent standard to a degree, certification, or diploma received at a Canadian educational institution. Usually, foreign workers who apply for Express Entry immigration to Canada will need a favorable ECA, especially if they want to qualify for the Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP). Applicants for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) are also recommended to have the ECA, although it is not required.

Is the Canadian Visa App company an agent of any immigration consultancy firm?

The Canadian Visa App company is not, in any way, an agent of any certified immigration consultants or their firm. The Canadian Visa App company does, however, subcontract a regulated immigration consultant who is an Authorized Representative according to Canadian immigration law in order to ensure that the clients of the Canadian Visa App company only receive high-quality eligibility assessments and other professional services. For more information, you may refer to our website’s Terms of Use to get more comprehensive information about the Authorized Representative who the Canadian Visa App company subcontracts.

What are the minimum or basic eligibility requirements for all the Canadian immigration visa programs for skilled foreign workers?

Although each Canadian immigration visa program designed for skilled immigrants has different eligibility criteria, the common requirements present in all of them generally include: having at least a competent level of English or French language proficiency as measured by an authorized language evaluation exam; being within a certain range of working ages; having the necessary post-secondary education or training relevant for an eligible occupation; possessing a certain amount of relevant work experience for an eligible occupation; being in good health; exhibiting good character; and providing proof of adequate financial resources for oneself and family to live on following Canadian relocation.

Why do I need to get professional immigration services, when I can do it on my own?

While we agree that certainly, you can do the process on your own, it is our view that you will benefit by receiving professional immigration services provided by an authorized consultant and well-trained support specialists who can assist you during each stage of the application procedure. Applying to become a Canadian Permanent Resident is an important, lengthy and rather complex procedure that must be done correctly in order to have the best opportunity for a smooth process and successful outcome.

Here are some of the many ways that you can benefit from receiving the professional Canadian immigration services that we offer to our clients:

  • You can get guidance from a registered immigration consultant who is an Authorized Representative according to Canadian immigration law and who works with our team of experienced support specialists to answer all your questions and make sure that your forms and documents are prepared and filed correctly and efficiently for the Canadian visa program that you have been assessed as eligible to apply for.
  • A professional immigration consultant can make the procedures easier for you to understand and complete by explaining exactly what needs to be done at each stage of the process and answering questions you have about your specific case.
  • You can be evaluated in advance to find which Canadian immigration visa program you are most likely to qualify for. In this way, the process will be more efficient, instead of you trying to apply for many immigration visa programs on your own or applying for an immigration program when you do not meet its eligibility requirements.
  • You can be assured that your application will be submitted promptly and correctly to the authorized Canadian immigration officials.
  • You will have people to follow up on your visa application so you can obtain prompt notice about the decision regarding your Canadian permanent residency.
  • You will have professionals who can provide you with accurate and practical information which can help to make your move to Canada easier once you are approved for permanent residency.

If these advantages sound good to you, then know that our team at Canadian Visa App is ready to serve your needs!