Canadian Visa App - Federal Skilled Worker | Experience Living in Canada!

Federal Skilled
Worker Program

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is a Canadian immigration program renowned worldwide. It allows foreign professionals with needed skills and experience to acquire permanent residence in Canada where they can find employment opportunities and improve their living standards.

Federal skilled workers are foreign nationals who possess suitable work experience, education, linguistic capabilities, and other characteristics that are needed to fill high-demand jobs in Canada and contribute to the country’s economy. These individuals are, therefore, selected by the Express Entry Canadian immigration system to apply for permanent residence in Canada as skilled foreign workers.

The Federal Skilled Worker Program enhances the economy and society of Canada and, thus, it sorts out the best, most qualified, and experienced personnel in terms of academics, trades, and other characteristics.

Individuals who are approved for Express Entry to Canada via the FSWP are allowed to stay, study, and work in Canada for an unlimited period and they are entitled to several benefits like free or subsidized medical care.

To qualify for the FSWP, a university degree or other tertiary education qualification is necessary.

A minimum of one year of full-time, paid work experience during the previous 10 years in an eligible occupation is also required to qualify for this points-based Canadian immigration program.

FSWP Selection Factors

In order to immigrate to Canada through the FSWP, you must receive at least 67 points out of 100 points possible for these six selection factors and satisfy all the other criteria:

1.Linguistic prowess in English and French (28 points possible)
To qualify, you have to prove your language ability in either English or French. Therefore, you will be required to undergo an approved language evaluation test such as the IELTS for English or the TEF for French. These tests give scores for speaking, writing, reading, and listening and the foreign worker must at least achieve the minimum score for each of these four sections and a minimum score on the test overall. A maximum of 24 points can be received for the first language (English or French) and a maximum of four additional points for the second language (English or French). Please note that there is a minimum score required to pass the FSWP language requirement, but specific scores that are higher than the minimum are needed in order to receive points toward the 67 required for the FSWP.

2.Knowledge (25 points possible)
They say knowledge is power and to prove that you are knowledgeable, you will need proof like:

–  A certificate, diploma, or degree from an approved institution based in Canada; or
–  An Education Credential Assessment (ECA) evaluating your education received outside of Canada and stating that it is comparable to a Canadian qualification.

3.Work Experience (15 points possible)
Having relevant work experience in an eligible occupation will boost your chances of qualifying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. In order to be accepted, it should be continuous, paid, full-time (i.e., 30 hours per week for 12 months or 15 hours per week for 24 months) work experience in an occupation that is listed by Canada’s 2021 National Classification Occupation (NOC) as TEER skill level 0, TEER skill level 1, TEER skill level 2, or TEER skill level 3, and occurred within the 10 years prior to applying for the FSWP.

4.Age (12 points possible)
Skilled immigrants in the prime “working-age” are needed who can live and work in Canada for many years and, therefore, have the most positive impact on the country’s economy and society.

Foreign workers who are in the 18-35 age-range can earn the maximum of 12 points for their age, while skilled immigrants who are 36-years-old can get 11 points for age, those who are 37 can receive 10 points, 38-year-olds can obtain 9 points, and so forth up to individuals who are 46- years-old who can attain 1 point for age. Foreign workers who are 47-years-old or above will not receive any points for age, but older workers could potentially compensate by getting more points for relevant work experience and/or education.

Points scored on age will be calculated based on the date you submitted your application to the FSWP for consideration, so time is of the essence when applying for Canadian immigration through the FSWP.

5.Canadian Job Offer (10 points possible)
If you can get a qualifying offer of full-time, paid, non-seasonal employment in Canada that will last a minimum of one year, will be in an eligible occupation (i.e., NOC TEER skill level 0, 1, 2 or 3), and you do so before you apply for the FSWP, you could get 10 points on your score and be in a stronger position to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) through the Express Entry Canadian immigration system. The employer who provides you with the Canadian job offer will need to get a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) if you are applying for the FSWP from outside of Canada. There may be additional and/or different requirements related to the offer of employment in Canada and whether you can receive points, depending on your particular situation.

6.Adaptability (10 points possible)
Here you could earn yourself more points by proving that you will be able to settle in Canada with ease. A maximum of 10 Adaptability points in total can be received for the English and/or French language level of your spouse/partner; your past studies in Canada; your previous work in Canada; if your spouse/partner had prior studies in Canada; if your spouse/partner had previous work in Canada; if you or your spouse/partner have eligible family members living in Canada; or if you have a pre-arranged qualifying Canadian job offer as discussed earlier.

Other Requirements

There are other eligibility requirements that must be satisfied to apply for immigration to Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP).

Express Entry Procedure

In order to apply for immigration to Canada through the FSWP, you will need to file an online Express Entry profile with your details to inform the Canadian immigration officials that you and your family want to live and work in Canada as permanent residents.

Your language evaluation exam scores and Education Credential Assessment (ECA) will be required when you complete your Express Entry profile, so you should have those ready in advance.

If your profile is entered into the Express Entry pool of candidates, you will have up to 12 months to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) by getting a qualifying Canadian job offer, or having one of the highest scores on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), or receiving a nomination for a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

You will have up to 60 days to file the Canadian Visa Application after you get the ITA, including the governmental fees and all of the supporting documents.

A decision is usually received in six months or less after the Canadian Visa Application was filed correctly through the Express Entry system.

If you are approved for immigration to Canada through the FSWP, you will receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and be issued a Canadian Permanent Resident Visa if you are from a country for which a visa to Canada is required. You must enter Canada before your COPR expires and have a valid passport or other authorized travel document (and valid Canadian visa, if required). Once you have an address in Canada, you will pay a small fee to receive your plastic wallet-sized Permanent Resident Card to carry as identification and proof of Canadian Permanent Resident status.

Proof of Funds

For any applicant to succeed, he/she needs to have adequate funds to be able to take care of himself/herself and accompanying family members following immigration to Canada. The applicant will be required to provide Proof of Funds by submitting recent bank statements or other related documents in the Canadian Visa Application. The amount of funds one should have depends on the number of family members included in the Canadian Visa Application. Please note that the Proof of Funds amount required for the FSWP may not be the same as the amount of financial resources you and your family will actually need to live on after you immigrate to Canada. Furthermore, you may not need to provide Proof of Funds if you have a qualifying offer of employment in Canada.

Medical Exams

You and all family members who will immigrate to Canada with you must provide acceptable documentation showing that each person in your Canadian visa application has good health. This will require you and your family members (after you receive the ITA) to have a medical exam from a medical practitioner who is approved by the Canadian government for this purpose and to provide the medical exam results with the other documents when you file your Canadian Visa Application.

Police Certificates

You and all family members who are 18 years of age or older must provide scanned color copies of original Police Certificates from every country where you have lived for at least six months in a row during the past 10 years (only after the age of 18 and excluding time spent in Canada) in order to show good character. It may be wise to apply for the Police Certificate(s) after you are officially entered into the Express Entry pool of candidates, since it can take some time to get them.

Governmental Fees

At various points in the process, you must pay the Canadian governmental fees. You will need to pay the Application Processing Fee when you and/or your spouse/partner apply for Canadian Permanent Residency. If you are approved for Canadian Permanent Residency, you and your spouse/partner must pay the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF). You will have to pay a governmental fee for each dependent child (generally, less than 22 years of age and without a spouse/partner) who will immigrate to Canada with you. The Canadian Permanent Residence Application Processing Fee and the RPRF can be paid together for convenience when you submit your Application for Canadian Permanent Residency. You will pay a fee for each family member to receive the wallet-sized plastic Permanent Residence (PR) Card issued and mailed to your address in Canada, which you will carry as an official form of identification and proof of Canadian Permanent Resident status. Please note that there may be other governmental fees depending on your particular situation.

Non-Governmental Fees

In addition to the governmental fees, you will also pay non-governmental fees at different points of the process, such as: to have your English and/or French language skills evaluated; to receive your Education Credential Assessment (ECA); medical exams; police certificates (in some countries); to get English or French translations of required documents if they were not written in English or French; etc.

Please note that this is an overview about the FSWP; the requirements, procedures and fees are subject to change by the Canadian government; and further details can be provided by our team of specialists.

Permanent Residency Benefits

When you become a Canadian Permanent Resident, you can enjoy many amazing benefits. Canadian Permanent Residents can live and work in Canada for as long as they want without any time limit. You have the freedom to travel to and from Canada as often as you want. A Permanent Resident of Canada who is 18 years of age and meets other criteria can sponsor eligible family members for a Canadian visa. Your children can receive a free public primary and secondary education in Canada. You and your family can attend high-quality Canadian universities, vocational schools or other post-secondary educational programs. Free or subsidized public medical care is a right of all Canadian Permanent Residents and Citizens. Unemployment and social security benefits are also available to Canadian Permanent Residents who qualify. Do you dream of owning your own home? Did you know that the majority of new Permanent Residents buy a home within three years after they immigrate to Canada? As a Canadian Permanent Resident, you also have the option to start a business in Canada if you so desire. After you live in Canada three years out of five years as a permanent resident, you have the opportunity to apply to become a Canadian citizen!

To learn if you qualify to apply for the FSWP, click here!

DISCLAIMER: This information is not and should not be considered as expert or professional advice.